UAPD has accelerated its organizing program over the last year, bringing hundreds of new members into the Union. After each organizing campaign is finished comes the even more challenging task — negotiating a first contract with a sometimes recalcitrant employer. In the last year, UAPD has gone three-for-three on first-contract organizing, having successfully settled the University of California Student Health contract in the summer, a contract for the clinicians at To Help Everyone (T.H.E.) clinic last month, and now a first contract for Los Angeles County Pharmacists.
Highlights New Agreement for LA County Pharmacists:
The new contract for Los Angeles County Pharmacists was overwhelmingly approved by membership. With more than 80% of the pharmacists voting, 99% of the votes cast were in favor of the new agreement. The Pharmacists deserve congratulations for voting and for encouraging their colleagues to vote. There is no limit to what UAPD-represented pharmacists can do!
- Salary Increases totaling 15% over the next 3 1/2 years, with 8% of it coming in the next 3 months.
- Continuing Education time increased to 24 hours per year (previously 15 hrs/yr).
- Increased Rights Over Personnel File
- New Health And Safety Protections
- Dignity and Professionalism Protections
- In addition to the new MOU language, the Pharmacist Competency Test is now being transformed into a training program, rather than the punitive exam it once was. Pharmacists will be part of that overall decision making as the training modules are developed.
Summary of T.H.E. Contract
Providers at the To Help Everyone (THE) Health and Wellness Centers in Los Angeles have also joined UAPD and negotiated their first contract. The new UAPD contract was overwhelmingly ratified by members. A contract summary is below, and the full text of the Agreement will be distributed once it is finalized. Congratulations to all!
- 5% across the board increases (3 guaranteed + 2 merit) in 2016, 2017, and 2018.
- Higher entry level salaries
- Progressive Discipline – Guarantee that any disciplinary action be fair and backed by evidence.
- Grievance Procedure – A clear procedure for setting disputes between the employer and providers.
- Binding Arbitration – A neutral third party to settle any disputes that cannot be resolved in house.
- Layoff Based on Seniority and Classification – Guarantee that any layoffs will be conducted fairly.
- 40 hours CE after 1 full year of employment, excluding PTO (PTO starts after 90 days)
- NP’s and PA’s are allowed up to $1000.00 in CE reimbursement
- MDs and DDS are allowed up to $1500.00 in CME/CE reimbursement